Mama Bear is Pissed!



 Oh yes, four months later and I'm still pissed, but doing something about this horrible situation has helped fizzle the anger.

I've done nothing except support the football program, encourage the coaches and the team, and ensure my son gave the respect the coaching staff deserved as adults and representatives of the high school athletic department. If Javan has ever disrespected you on the practice field or the game field, I'm sorry.  I've asked several coaches if they've ever had a problem with Javan's behavior and the answer was always, "No."

I don't want to be a hypocrite, there is one coach from a community basketball league that had an issue with Javan's fifteen year old attitude, yet they were handled and the coach continued to embrace Javan and used his basketball skills to help win championships. You know who you are; thank you!

My husband and I have raised a confident athlete. He was considered selfish because he kept asking for the ball, but maybe it was because he rarely received the ball.  He wanted to help his coach win, he wanted to help his team win, he wanted to display his talent, he wanted to have fun his senior year, but it's quite obvious there was another agenda.

It baffles me that an outstanding, senior athlete wouldn't be used to help get points on the board. Oh well, your loss - literally speaking. I'm not saying my son is all that and a bag of chips, but other coaches have spoken highly of his athletic abilities and even questioned why his talent wasn't used more. My answer was always, "I don't know." We had friends and family to travel long distances just to watch Javan play only to see him stand on the sidelines or just running up the field hoping he would be able to receive the ball. After all, he was a wide receiver! A previous football coach told me, "Not too many young men his age have his talent and abilities."

I purposely waited for the football season to end before defending my son. I want it to be perfectly clear that getting him back on the team was not the intention. Playing time wasn't an issue. We didn't agree with the decision to kick Javan off the team, but my husband and I continued to be supportive parents of the program instead of causing havoc in the middle of the season.We continued attending games and I continued volunteering. Javan also attended the games as a spectator and cheered his team on.

 You don't have to like Javan, but you sure have to treat him fairly.  I believe The Discrimination Act addresses this! Javan did absolutely nothing wrong. NOTHING!  A perfect child he is not, but he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant getting kicked off the football team and I believe everyone involved is aware of this. Javan is a teenage boy full of testosterone and attitude, but a trouble maker he is not. I know he has attitude - I live with him. If you want to kick someone off the team, I can point out more than a few who cursed the coaches, started fights with team mates, and were downright disrespectful and disobedient. I've seen it for myself; I attended several practices. Can we talk?

My son has handled this unjust termination much better than I have.  He cried, skipped a class or two, jogged around the neighborhood late at night to clear his head, dealt with comments and questions from his peers, and cried some more, but Mama Bear doesn't have any tears; I'm pissed! You've taken away memories of my son's senior year - homecoming game, senior night, end of year banquet, a chance at getting chosen for the All Star Team, a letter jacket, and a possible scholarship! Tuskegee University Head Coach has called our home and spoken with Javan personally, but after he got kicked off the team.... Javan's chances at receiving any football scholarships were kicked off the table when he was kicked off the team.

I have no choice; I must correct this wrong against my son. Surely, no one expected this incident to cross the end zone without throwing a yellow flag.  Please read the quote below.

Mothers stand up for their children, we fight for our children, we are the voice for our children, and we protect our children.I am simply being a mother.

This Mama Bear has spoken. I asked for Javan's name to be cleared amongst his peers. It didn't happen, so Mama Bear must take action. My son's character has been defamed. I'm not a lawyer, but I know how to search my rights, which is what I encourage other parents to do. Stop talking about it and do something about it!

Although, I wrote this statement and created this blog, my husband, stands behind me, supports me, and agrees with me. This blog speaks for us as a team, yet we are speaking for all parents of athletes.

If you haven't read the entire story, click here.



 "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good
men to do nothing." 

Edmund Burke